Abstract

A study was made of the visible-ultraviolet irradiance produced by a commercial low-pressure mercury arc operated by an accompanying power supply with a rated input of 115 volts ac. The 2537 Å irradiance was 3.9 μW/cm2 at one meter at a specified axial position in ambient air at 20°C. The 2537 Å irradiance changed less than 2% when power-supply input varied from 105 to 130 volts ac, with environmental temperatures of 19.4°C and 26.8°C and ambient air flows of 11.2 and 14.7 cm/sec, respectively. Spectral analysis of the lamp irradiance in the 1900–6000 Å range showed that 92% originated from the 2537 Å mercury resonance line while the remaining 8% is attributable to 12 other mercury lines. The intensities of 55 other spectral lines of negligible intensity in the investigated range are given relative to the intensity of the 2537 Å line. The experimental mean free path of electrons in mercury vapor at 1 mm of Hg and 273°K was ~5 × 10−3 cm whereas kinetic theory gave 6.7 × 10−3 cm.

© 1962 Optical Society of America

Full Article  |  PDF Article
OSA Recommended Articles
Line Intensity and Energy Distribution in High and Low-Pressure Mercury Arcs

L. B. Johnson and L. Burns
J. Opt. Soc. Am. 23(2) 55-59 (1933)

Mercury Resonance Radiation in the High-Current, Low-Pressure Discharge

Peter D. Johnson
J. Opt. Soc. Am. 61(11) 1451-1454 (1971)

Wavelengths, Energy Levels, and Pressure Shifts in Mercury 198

Victor Kaufman
J. Opt. Soc. Am. 52(8) 866-870 (1962)

References

You do not have subscription access to this journal. Citation lists with outbound citation links are available to subscribers only. You may subscribe either as an OSA member, or as an authorized user of your institution.

Contact your librarian or system administrator
or
Login to access OSA Member Subscription

Cited By

You do not have subscription access to this journal. Cited by links are available to subscribers only. You may subscribe either as an OSA member, or as an authorized user of your institution.

Contact your librarian or system administrator
or
Login to access OSA Member Subscription

Figures (6)

You do not have subscription access to this journal. Figure files are available to subscribers only. You may subscribe either as an OSA member, or as an authorized user of your institution.

Contact your librarian or system administrator
or
Login to access OSA Member Subscription

Tables (4)

You do not have subscription access to this journal. Article tables are available to subscribers only. You may subscribe either as an OSA member, or as an authorized user of your institution.

Contact your librarian or system administrator
or
Login to access OSA Member Subscription

Equations (7)

You do not have subscription access to this journal. Equations are available to subscribers only. You may subscribe either as an OSA member, or as an authorized user of your institution.

Contact your librarian or system administrator
or
Login to access OSA Member Subscription

Metrics

You do not have subscription access to this journal. Article level metrics are available to subscribers only. You may subscribe either as an OSA member, or as an authorized user of your institution.

Contact your librarian or system administrator
or
Login to access OSA Member Subscription